[triadtechtalk] Re: Outlook Express 6.0 ~ having to re-enter the password over & over

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

Lewis, this is what I was able to dig up re your
"...XP's OE won't save my password..." problem.
It may sound complicated but it worked for the person
experiencing your problem. I think this I found in
LockerGnome's "Tips" included in their Daily version:

Here it goes:

BEGIN EXTRACT
------------------------
Windows XP Home, and my Outlook Express doesn't
remember my e-mail password. I have checked the "Save
password" checkbox, but Outlook Express still doesn't
remember my password. What is the problem and what can
I do to fix it?

Answer: The problem is that your Windows Registry
doesn't have the correct information for the Protected
Storage System Provider subkey. I will warn you that
this fix will involve having to edit your registry.
That being said, I would suggest that you back up this
registry subkey before you edit it. To do this, click
Start | Run, type "regedt32" (sans quotes), and click
OK. Now you need to navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \
Software \ Microsoft \ Protected Storage System
Provider" (sans quotes) and then click File | Export.
From here, just type in a file name you'll recognize,
and in the "Save In" box navigate to a familiar place,
like My Documents or My Desktop, and click Save. You
have successfully backed up this registry key.

Since we are already at the proper key in the registry,
we might as well continue on from here. Click Edit |
Permissions. Ensure that "Read" and "Full Control"
permissions are both set to "Allow" for the account you
are logged in as. Now, click the Advanced button to
ensure that the user that is currently logged on has
Full Control listed in the Permissions column, and that
This Key and Subkeys is listed in the "Apply To"
column. If not, then just click Edit to add the
appropriate permissions. Make sure there is a check in
the checkbox next to "Replace permission entries on all
child objects with entries shown here that apply to
child objects." From here, click the Apply button, and
then click "Yes" when you receive a prompt to continue.
Click the OK button until you get back to the Registry
Editor. Now, expand the Protected Storage System
Provider registry key and delete the user subkey
folders listed inside. The user subkey folder should
have a name like:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701. You can
delete the folder by clicking on it, and then clicking
Edit | Delete.

The next step is to close the Registry Editor and then
restart your computer. When your computer comes back
up, you will want to re-enter your password in Outlook
Express. Open Outlook Express, and if you get a login
error, then just close the dialog box and continue.
Once in Outlook Express, click Tools | Accounts. In the
Internet Accounts window, click on the Mail tab. Choose
your e- mail account where the password needs to be
re-entered, and then click the Properties button. On
the Server tab, type your e-mail password in the
Password box and put a check in the checkbox next to
"Remember password." Now, click OK and close all the
way back to the main Outlook Express window. Go to the
File | Exit to close Outlook Express. The next time you
open Outlook Express, you shouldn't have the password
problem anymore; just click the Send and Receive button
to test this. [Brian]
-------------------------------------
END EXTRACT

HTH, skyhawk.
armando.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:54:10 -0700, "Lewis & Becky
Kincaid" wrote:

> I have a HP Pavilion 510n with windows XP and 510mb...
> I use Outlook Express
> 6.0
>
> And for some reason, it will no longer save my
> password. I have to reenter
> it over and over.. Even thought I have the box checked
> fro saving the
> password for all 3 accounts...
>
> So every time it checks my mail.. I have to re-enter
> the password..
>
> Any idea's as to what is causing this or how to
correct
> this from
> continuing????
>
> Skyhawk