[triadtechtalk] Re: Firewall question

  • From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:47:01 -0500 (EST)

IMO, less of a ZoneAlarm is better. Although ZA has grown in its efforts to
block not only ports, but also viruses, malware, spyware, bots, hackers and the
kitchen sink if need be, I find that it's older version is more manageable and
just as robust. Read as "less bloated".

A firewall is a firewall and perhaps the best one you can use comes in a $20
router, however, a software firewall such as ZA is best when its less. I use
its version 2.6 for any flavor of windoze except 95. For that you need version
2.1.

ZA 2.6 gives you access to everything that is happening, incoming or outgoing,
with a click of the mouse, and what's best about it is that it's free. I'm sure
that after you've read the definitions of all the various transmission
protocols you'll be more learned but not any wiser as to what to tell your
present version to use. It's all Greek, still.

Get v. 2.6 here and you'll be happier. No program or utility should ever need
server rights, unless you happen to use your PC as a server:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

Be sure you properly and thoroughly uninstall any other version before you
install another one.

Let other utilities handle the spyware and antivirus protection..., or buy a 20
dollar router and never again be troubled by issues of incoming and outgoing
packages and firewalls. If you want protection from hackers, you'd do much
better with a router. That will cause the router to appear to the bad guys on
the internet as being your only computer, and will hide your computer(s)
including their IP addresses from even your ISP. There is no setup. Plug and
play.

That's my .02 cents' worth.
Armando