[triadtechtalk] Re: Dual Boot Menu Don't Work!

  • From: "Bruce Eddy" <beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:52:11 -0500

Howard??? don't format?? at the very least do a 'repair' with the windows XP
CD? you shouldn't need to do a clean install if all you need is the boot files
for your 98 partition....you do a boot with the XP Cd..or use insert the Cd
while you're in windows 98...chose to install..but at some point you need to
use the 'repair' not the overwrite part..Can't do it by my head right now, but
if you call me sometimes tomorrow I'll walk you thru it overt the phone? let me
know offlist and I'll send you my phone number to call? You'll still need to do
all the updates but that's about all you'll lose...Plus I also have a CD that
can read NTFS drives if you need to get info off that drive...
HTH,
Bruce
beddy1@rochester,rr,com
        From: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Monday, October 27, 2003 03:29:28 PM

        Howard....You need NTLDR ( no extension) bootsect.dos, ntdetct.dos, not
sure about any others...... your best bet may be to reinstall but chose repair.
instead of a clean install?
        you might also run the install the recovery console form the XP
CD..then run fixmbr when you boot to it..I can send you those files off-list if
you wish..not sure if that'' work, but....
        HTH,
        Bruce
        beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Thanks Bruce and Armando for the help. Unfortunately, all those progs
assume I can access XP and they can't be used from win98se. I am stuck in 98
which is on FAT 32 and can't even see the XP partition which is NTFS. I have
tried a lot of backups, but none had complete files I needed to reboot. I had
the boot.ini file which gave me the boot menu, but XP wouldn't work. I'm about
out of options, so I"ll probably format. If you don't hear from me for a few
days. you will know what happened.       Thanks again ...

        Howard