[triadtechtalk] Re: Computer running

  • From: "Richard" <modelworker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 16:34:15 -0700

Perfect. Thanx, Armando!

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Armando Barreiro" <fidelis1sob@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:29 PM
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Computer running

An everlasting discussion with a vast amount of varied opinions. Take your pick:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=shut+it+off+or+not%2C+computer+wear&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>

I have always turned them off, all of them, every time I leave my desk. I have never experienced any damage of any kind as a consequence. Expanding and shrinking plastics and circuits, and all that stuff has never impeded any of my boxes from starting or caused them to wear down more rapidly or decreased their lifetime.

I have given away boxes that I used for two or three years and subjected them to the very same power cycling and which are still working hard, three and four years later. In one of them I had to recently replace the CPU's fan when it gave up the ghost. Frank Ross continues using it daily, as we speak.

My TV I turn off also, every time I'm away from it. It is made of the same plastics and circuitry as my computer is and it doesn't suffer any more wear and tear for this either. That one I bought at Circuit City in 1990, made in the Republic of China, BTW, and not by the danged communist capitalists (talk about an antithesis).

I've had light bulbs last forever and yet others will turn on once and die immediately within a blink of an eye, Poof!

I don't mean to sway your norm on this subject, I'm only stating what I do and that is that EVERY time I'm away from my desk I turn off the computer and when I return I turn it on again, an average of fifteen times, at least, per day.

I bought this one on January the 20th of this year. I'll be sure to post as to its demise, should it occur prior to mine. I bought it because I wanted a dual core, 64 BIT box with booting from USB capabilities.

Armando