[triadtechtalk] Re: Another Vexing Problem

  • From: "Bruce Eddy" <beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 09:43:28 -0500

I’ve never used any download accelerators. Is it certified guarndamnteed the
multiple pieces go back together with no glitches?

I’m betting something that Brian has installed on Win 7 B drive is actually
pointing to his C vista drive and won’t correct itself.

My fix for that would be to boot with Windows 7 disk… Tell it to install over
the top of his current Windows 7 b drive. Not sure how he wound up with Windows
being on the ‘b’ drive anywho? I’ve run multiple windows here and they all wind
up on C once you boot into them?

Before you decide to dump Vista Brian, try this… Run the PCMover program on
your current Windows 7 install….

Boot with windows 7 disk. Do a clean install of 7 on the same partition it’s
already on. Widows will put the current files in a folder called windows.old.
Once the install finishes, I’m betting it shows Windows 7 on C drive? Now run
the PCMover program. When it asks where you old files are, point to the
windows.old folder. Mover will now setup all your old programs into the new
windows 7. It will change short cuts to work properly. You may have to fix a
program or two, but miles above a clean install of your entire setup?

This also works if you decide to dump Vista and install Win7 in its place.
STILL don’t know why everyone complains so much about vista. I didn’t have any
of the issues everyone talks about here. I only upgraded because my clients
would expect me to be running the latest greatest.

This assumes you have a full blown image of your setup somewhere safe?

Oh, also, the issues people are saying about it won’t boot, etc… All you have
to do there is insert the Windows7 Cd .. I think the very first option is
repair your installation? Works just fine.

Armando, I still don’t see the need to use anything other than IE….what do I
gain? I’ve got IE9, Opera and Chrome..But rarely use the others. But I’m not a
casual surfer either. And If I’m going dancing in the dirt, so to speak, I run
SandboxIE?

Debugging windows is half the ‘fun’? Ummm 12 different versions of Linux sounds
like more work than windows?

YMMV

I suppose we’re up to about a $1.50 now?:)) sorry, I just can’t stay quiet when
I see stuff that simply isn’t fact? Windows Vista is NOT the piece of junk
people claim it to be? Yes when it first came out driver issues were the thing.
Once the service packs came out, it settled down nicely, Altho, here Even in
the betas I never had all the issues people scream about? Personally I think
the problem with vita on a regular basis is human? Like I said before… add on
plus add on plus add on plus add on.. then complain cuz it’s broke? I’m not
saying anyone here is ‘wrong’ per se’. But to explicitly say windows Vista is a
piece of junk, is just not true. Maybe on some systems? My best friend has the
exact same model laptop I have, I’m using win7, she’s using the original Vista
that came with it. She’s a Mac Master..ehhh mistress?:)) Anyways, She’s never
once had to do a clean install, never had to repair. None of those things? She
uses it daily for her work, where administration uses windows.. but she manages
a network of Macs, and for her daily play stuff. The only reason I upped to
win7 was we got free Cds from Toshiba and my clients expect me to run the
latest greatest windows? For the life of me I’ll never understand this ‘Vista
is junk’ stuff? I’ve had several  Vista systems come in here. Everyone of them
walks out running just fine STILL running Vista.

Bruce

From: Bruce Eddy <beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 1:40 AM

Hi Brian, you might try PCMover program. That works pretty darn good

In essence..Windows puts your entire hard drive in a window.old folder… The PC
mover program drags all your programs and their reg settings out of the old
folder and into the new windows version..

Not an expensive program either.

Bruce