[triadtechtalk] Re: AnalogX

  • From: "GASCON, VICTOR" <VGASCON@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:58:59 -0400

Jim,

As with anything concerning system files, I recommend caution when dealing with
DLLs. The AnalogX software writter is an extremely experienced programmer;
however, he cannot know what exactly is running on your system.

My suggestion is to run the program and find out what DLLs it recommends for
deletion. Once you get the list, do some research on the Net to find out what
each is used for.

As you know, a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) is a program or series of functions
common to more than one application. There are system DLLs (that is, those used
by Windows itself in order to run) and application DLLs (those installed by a
particular program in order to work). I feel comfortable removing application
DLLs -- I am hesitant when it comes to system DLLs. A mistake with an
application DLL may cause me to have to re-install it -- generally that is not
a problem. A system DLL may cause a Windows failure either during boot-up or at
some other point -- and that can be harder to recover from.

Once you determine which DLLs you feel comfortable removing, make sure to copy
these files to a different location before allowing the AnalogX software to
manipulate them. After cleaning up the computer, run your system for a few days
before permanently deleting the DLLs.

Good luck!

-= Victor =-
Victor Gascón
Workstation Support at V. C. Summer Nuclear Station
Phone: (803) 345-4886 / FAX: (803) 345-4815
Pager: (803) 931-9331 / Cell: (803) 331-5578