[children's transport group] Re: CPAP for bronchiolitic's : What is out there?

  • From: "Ian Braithwaite" <Ian.Braithwaite@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:43:57 +0000

Hi Dennis

Sorry you didn't get any replies to this good question. We use the Babypac
ventilator with some Drager "babyflow" short nasal prongs. It works well. About
6kg is the biggest baby you can squeeze into their CPAP hats. We have
humidifiers for using with the incubators, but use them without humidification
for patients in the Babypods or on the trolleys. Having said this, our
experience of putting bronchiolitic patients on CPAP is limited; we don't tend
to move them until they get intubated.

I've seen some neonatal trolleys with "SLE" CPAP drivers mounted and NETS in
Sydney had a stretcher with a very basic "Infant Star" ventilator mounted on it
that was used to deliver nasal CPAP for bronchiolitic patients at times.

I have used non-invasive CPAP on transport with the Oxylog 3000 on older
patients. The new Oxylog 3000+ is meant to go down to 5kg, but I don't know how
practical that would be for delivering CPAP to a baby.

Hope you're well, let us know what else you find out.

Ian

Ian Braithwaite
Senior Transport Nurse
Yorkshire and Humber Infant and Children's Transport Service (Embrace)
+ 44 (0)114 305 3005

>>> dennis kerr <kerrdennis@xxxxxxxxx> 10/29/2011 6:02 am >>>

Dear all,
yes it is the bronchiolitic time again in UK and I am wondering has any team
used a 240 volt powered CPAP device to transport bronchiolitic patients during
the last two years?

Does anyone have experience with any device or is aware of a CPAP driver?

Would be great to hear of your experiences? If not CPAP do you then intubate
for the transfer?

Thanks in anticipation.

Finally - What does ABC stand for............................
A ll
B lacks
C hampions

cheers,