[tor] Re: more info needed to be able to help

  • From: raidz <admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:03:03 -0800

I have a feeling the issue lies in the code, I mean Tor isn't even multi-threaded, thats pathetic. I have a relay that maxes out at 100mbits on a gige line, it won't go any higher. It would be great if we could work together with the developers, possibly giving them access to some of our relays and exits to see if they can find where the bottleneck lies. With people getting more used to faster speeds it will turn some people off from using the network. I know speed isn't the first priority, but it should be one of the higher priorities.

Moritz,

I am not sure who would have better luck with the devs, I can try and reach out to them, although I know you probably have a better relationship with them. I would be more than happy to help them troubleshoot any issues, I just hope they have the time and are willing because as it is now, Tor is not scalable.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:54:28 +0100, Moritz Bartl wrote:
Hi,

Am 27.02.2011 21:43, schrieb Mark Smith:
Could it simply be that the relays are offering more bandwidth than users need?

That question comes up from time to time. I don't know the answer, and I
surely would like to know more.

I cannot believe that there ever will be a point in time where all our hundredthousands of users are unable to saturate the Tor network . When you use Tor, you can clearly see it could use more speed. And that's not
only the latency of 3 hops.

Still, the exits may not be a limiting factor anymore.

The last time I ran the script to generate the tormap for Google Maps, only around 80 exits were faster than 1 mb/s. That includes a number of
"more logical Tor nodes on one physical line because Tor does not
scale", and many exits who only allow a very limited set of ports to exit. One should be aware that being an exit relay is no different from being a middle relay, only *additionally* allowing traffic to exit. So even if exits were not the bottleneck, they should still be used as middle and
entry nodes.