[tor] Re: more info needed to be able to help

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:54:28 +0100

Hi,

Am 27.02.2011 21:43, schrieb Mark Smith:
> Could it simply be that the relays are offering more bandwidth than users
> need?

That question comes up from time to time. I don't know the answer, and I
surely would like to know more.

I cannot believe that there ever will be a point in time where all our
hundredthousands of users are unable to saturate the Tor network . When
you use Tor, you can clearly see it could use more speed. And that's not
only the latency of 3 hops.

> Still, the exits may not be a limiting factor anymore.

The last time I ran the script to generate the tormap for Google Maps,
only around 80 exits were faster than 1 mb/s. That includes a number of
"more logical Tor nodes on one physical line because Tor does not
scale", and many exits who only allow a very limited set of ports to exit.
One should be aware that being an exit relay is no different from being
a middle relay, only *additionally* allowing traffic to exit. So even if
exits were not the bottleneck, they should still be used as middle and
entry nodes.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/