[tor] Re: maumau - low throughput

  • From: morphium <morphium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:01:30 +0200

Hi!

> I see...
> Is the low throughput only caused by the hoster or could it also be the
> case that Tor is just not using more of the available bandwidth?
> 03/11/11 had an average of 266Mbit/s

What CPU is in that (v)Server?

> Does a regular download from the server (scp, ftp) confirm the
> assumption that the low throughput is caused by the hoster? (excluding
> Tor as the problem)

Is there a 500M or 1G testfile?

> Would it be an option to open the exit policy a bit at that server to
> see if that would increase the bandwidth usage?

To my knowledge, Tor is not multithreaded, so it's CPU bound to one core.
I had it running on my Server with about 270 mbit/s, then one core had
100% util. The exit node was slightly faster (1000 kbyte/s or
something) than the blutmagie nodes.
The safer solution to utilize more bandwidth is to run 2 or 4 nodes on
one (v)server, depending on how much cores you may use (and 2 IPs
would be good for 4 nodes, but at the end of the day it doesn't really
matter).

Best regards!

--
morphium - morphium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - 113332157