[tor] Re: Torservers.net Hosting Strategy

  • From: Christian <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:30:22 +0100

Hi,

On 02/19/2011 12:19 PM, Moritz Bartl wrote:

> With our non-profit, we plan to apply for as many grants as possible.
> For example, I have talked potential sponsors (and I mean, real
> sponsors), and the second thing they ask for is a budget plan. Every
> grant application requires us to submit different possible stages of
> funding and what we could achieve with that.

As an addition:
We (moritz and me) talked to some people at conferences and worksops,
and they looked very well suprised by the little money we needed to
create an impact.
I think they expected us to burn way more money. By showing them that we
taste cheap ISPs (i would call the 1 GBit softlayer node that) we get
quite a nice impression. Yet every one of them understood that more
money and stable money income would give us more servers and better
"quality". As far as I can judge they would not be suprised if we would
need 1 - 10 k a month. And very well support us. For that, some requests
for grants, we need a "business plan" (I hate that term) and with that
money I do think we should consider running some stable mid priced nodes
with very little harrassment (ISP fighting us, miscalculating us).

> That's why it makes perfect sense to look into professional deals, were
> we don't have to worry about what happens when hardware gets seized etc.
>
> On the other hand, we want to contribute to the Tor community, by
> sifting through special deals and cheaper ISPs and "trying" them. That
> is the "we will spend your donations for the best possible deals in
> bandwidth" part.

Full ack. If they allow us and we document how well the hoster is and
how good cooperation with some hosters goes, we could very well make a
better positive list. For that we need good arguments and manpower in
documentation, creating info material, get us contacts to lawyers to
look at that etc pp.

I would argue some hosters shut down nodes because the operators failed
to respond/operators gave up etc pp which all leaves a bad taste about
tor and maybe led to a strategy like "bug them two or three times, and
they are gone anyway"
If we manage to compile resources on how to operate an exit node, than
this would be a great achievement.
Maybe we can even lobby some universities/organizations to help us in
the long run :)

cheers,
chris