[tor] Torservers.net Hosting Strategy

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:19:36 +0100

Hi all,

I think this is a point very well worth to discuss in general. I also
want you to understand my current strategy, because I feel that some of
you got confused (or even worried) when I quoted some deals way over our
current budget.

With our non-profit, we plan to apply for as many grants as possible.
For example, I have talked potential sponsors (and I mean, real
sponsors), and the second thing they ask for is a budget plan. Every
grant application requires us to submit different possible stages of
funding and what we could achieve with that.

It is not unimaginable that we could score a few grant, especially with
the current media attention in regards to the Arab world. If you look at
other Human Rights organizations and projects, a targeted $20k yearly
funding is basically a joke. The German "Bridge" foundation, for
example, gave over $13k in grants to a website against gene modification
in 2010. [1] In 2009, the German AK Vorrat (lobbying against data
retention), received $10k in funding from that Bridge foundation alone.
[2] The Tor project has more than $2M every year. Personal donations
make up only a few percent.

That's why it makes perfect sense to look into professional deals, were
we don't have to worry about what happens when hardware gets seized etc.

On the other hand, we want to contribute to the Tor community, by
sifting through special deals and cheaper ISPs and "trying" them. That
is the "we will spend your donations for the best possible deals in
bandwidth" part.

We should neither concentrate on the one or on the other.

Also, to make this clear: Our non-profit organization will not only host
Tor exits. It will also, even if all exits would be closed for whatever
reason, be a collective of Tor friends and users, offer press contacts,
organize workshops and local meetups etc.
That's why it will be called "Friends of Onion" (Zwiebelfreunde) after all.

[1] http://www.stiftung-bridge.de/foerderung2010.html
[2] http://www.stiftung-bridge.de/frderrunde2009.html

--
Moritz Bartl