[tor] Softlayer finally kicks us from their data center

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 19:04:01 +0100

Hi,

Bad news: We have received another DMCA complaint yesterday, and today
Softlayer told our ISP Midphase that they want our server removed from
their network ("repeated DMCA and Copyright violations"). The odd thing
is that the DMCA complaint listed a port we don't allow exiting on
(22187). Of course I told them that, and I tried to contact the company
behind the complaint, Degban Ltd., but they did not (yet) get back to
me. I haven't heard about any other DMCA complaints, just the notice
that we have 72 hours to get off their network.

Good news: Midphase is willing to get us a new server, including custom
WHOIS, in their new UK data center. They're working on an offer as
they're officially out of stock - "No worries we will get something
worked out for you :)". They might need to reclaim the US box today to
not bill us twice, but I think it's better to save $200 than to have it
up for another 72 hours.

I'll let you know once I know more.

Moritz