[tor] Re: Rokabear, Icelandic Hosting for Tor (was: Re: Re: TorserversFoundation Meeting Planning)

  • From: admin@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:01:32 -0800

nood,

How much traffic do you plan on pushing? I have a few relays running on VPS's. The highest specs I have on them are 384mb ram, 2 procs. You can get a lot of cheapies and take advantage of their generous traffic limits, just be aware that there is usually a reason they are cheap. I have a few cheap VPS's at 2host.com that push around 500Kbytes to 1.5 Mbytes/Sec, which is pretty slow, but hey, every bit counts right? I have only been running it for a few days so I am sure traffic will pick up in the long run.

Check out this link: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/2host-6-29-256mb-xen-vps/

(Coupon code still worked for me a few weeks ago)

Just keep in mind that speeds could be sporadic since VPS's are usually sharing the bandwidth between other VPS's on the host node.

Hope some of that is useful.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:20:50 -0500, Will Smith wrote:
Wow it is great to hear I'm on the same track as some of your
thinking. I'm assuming the $1200 figure is too costly for the group
now, correct? I've spoken at length with one of the admins at 1984 and
I feel like we could throttle the node ourselves and they could
monitor externally and just shut it down if we exceed a previously
agreed upon limit. Does anyone here have experience running a Tor Exit
Node off a VPS? What's the smallest requirements I could get away
with?
-nood