[tor] Re: Rokabear, Icelandic Hosting for Tor

  • From: jordan <jordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:18:57 +0100

I think

> Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I feel this is the best way
to gain WORLD-wide acceptance/recognition of tor before countries can
begin to legislate against hosting exit nodes.

and

> Geographical spreading

are both valid points.

Iceland for example seems expensive but it seems that its due to that
icelandic hosters don't have cheap/"mixed calculation" offers where low
traffic of most balances out the high traffic of others (us).

That might fit well into the "Torservers.net Hosting Strategy" proposed
by Moritz.
So when we might get bigger grants in the future it is an idea and
should be discussed to rent a server for example in Iceland, so one gets
a network wise and politically stable Tor exit and .. where no exit has
ever been before ;)

On the other side, as Moritz outlined, cheaper offers should be
used/tried where available. So one gets more bandwitdh for the buck but
for the price of a possibly "unstable" and not well geographically
distributed Exits.

Jordan