[tor] Re: Fwd: [#SDU-156133]: Tor Server Custom Build

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:03:49 +0100

Hi,

> Nice. One strategy might be to set this up on a month-to-month until
> there's enough money for buying a full year.

I'm trying to get that setup fee waived, too. I'm not sure if we ever
want to pay one year up front, especially because they try to avoid the
possible implications of Tor on their network. But I think setting this
up is worth a try - depending on the setup fee.

> A kickstarter project

Yes, I have been planning this from the start. Unfortunately, you cannot
create Kickstarter projects from outside US yet. :-/

http://kickstarter.uservoice.com/forums/10955-general/suggestions/186005-expand-kickstarter-to-international-project-creato

I also want to start a Kickstarter project for the first Icelandic exit.
I've been in contact with the owner of ThorDC (www.thordc.is), who wants
12€/month per Mbps.

> Any idea how you'd configure this Mo?  One
> massive node or 4-5 200 Mbps nodes?  Or tons of tiny nodes all
> Family'd together?

I have pretty good experience with our Softlayer node, which was on a
Gbit line too. Mike Perry is reportedly doing ~800Mbit/s on their
server. I have specifically asked for a CPU with AES-NI support, which
is why I am particularly interested in this offer: the Xeon E5620
supports AES-NI, which should lower CPU load considerably (and I would
love to play with it and let the Tor community know of the results).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES-NI

We experimented with all popular virtualization solutions, but ended up
putting the Tor processes directly on the host, because neither Xen,
OpenVZ nor KVM were able to handle the amount of connections coming in
without impacting performance heavily. Because Tor still doesn't scale
on multicore CPUs yet, I would run one logical Tor node for each CPU
core. All in the same family of course - all our nodes are in one
family. I want to keep the number as low as possible though, because
high speed nodes are more likely to be noticed on TorStatus/by the Tor
community than a hundred smaller ones. :) And it probably doesn't help
to run multiple Tor processes per core.

--
Moritz Bartl
http://www.torservers.net/