[tor] Re: Fwd: Re: [tor-talk] How to manage 100 Tor bridges?

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:59:48 +0100

Hi,

We have a deadline of around one week to get up 100 bridges, budget is
around $200 per month. More on that soon.

Let me clear and rephrase the topic: How do we manage to GET 100 bridges
in the first place? :)

We looked at Amazon yesterday. Turns out you can only associate one IP
at a time to one instance, which means you have to run 100 instances
(=VMs) for 100 bridges, which would amount to roughly 8000 bucks
monthly. Otherwise it would be perfect, as they have large blocks of IP
space around the globe, and you can easily switch IPs at nearly no cost.

Someone should definitely write up a guide on how to set up ONE bridge
at Amazon, because it is free for one year (!).

Rackspacecloud charges $2 per IP, but I haven't found information if
they have large/different IP spaces, and if you can associate them all
to one (or a few) VMs. Can someone please find that out?

-Moritz

Am 01.03.2011 17:33, schrieb Andrew Lewis:
> Why not something like rackspacecloud or Amazon? Bridges could be stood up
> and down easily. And IP addresses are just a click away, the downside is that
> lots of traffic might get expensive fast.
>
> If you use CentOS, there is also Satellite, which is less of framework like
> Puppet(not that it's bad) and more of a tool that can be set up rather
> easily. Although Puppet gives your more flexibility on OS type.
>
> Either way I'd be willing to help.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
> On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>
>> Volunteers?
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Betreff: Re: [tor-talk] How to manage 100 Tor bridges?
>> Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:48:07 +0100
>> Von: André Kelpe
>> An: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Hi Moritz,
>>
>> for deploying and maintaining a big number of boxes/services, you
>> should look into puppet [0] or chef [1].
>>
>> [0] http://www.puppetlabs.com/
>> [1] http://www.opscode.com/chef/
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> -- André
>>
>> 2011/2/28 Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are currently looking into setting up a large number of stable Tor
>>> bridges to be distributed privately through various organizations. I can
>>> use your input on
>>>
>>> - how to acquire non-consecutive IPs
>>> - how to install and maintain a large number of installations
>>> - how to keep track of installations/distribution
>>>
>>> It is very unlikely that any single ISP is able to offer more than maybe
>>> ten IPs from different subnets. At the moment I think we need to get a
>>> number of VPS and shell accounts at various providers, and ask if they
>>> can supply some non-consecutive IPs first.
>>>
>>> See https://www.torservers.net/wiki/hoster/bridges
>>>
>>> Your input is very welcome,
>>> --
>>> Moritz Bartl