[tor] Re: FDCServers (Fwd: Re: 1Gbit Hosting in EU)

  • From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:39:14 -0500

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - Our AUP/TOS, that you agree during signup, clearly states
> responsibilities (TOS section #16). In short, you're full responsible
> for any content hosted on your server or traffic passed through your
> server, so any claims for lack of responsibility will not be accepted
> and will be subject of service disconnection due to mishandled abuse report.

Well, that seems to seal it in that even with a very conservative exit
policy there will be more than one or two abuse incidents... in the US
we have a law (CDA section 230) that makes "conduit" providers
completely unliable for traffic they are merely routing.

It's tiring to see providers that consider any abuse notice
automatically valid, rather than engaging with the legal and technical
reality.

By all means, if you think it makes sense to start a node, just to get
a bit of experience with a 1GBit exit, but fully expect that there
will be a time in the near future when more than one abuse notice
comes in, that could be fine.  Then they'll kick the node.  I guess
the question is whether or not it's worth it, and I don't know the
answer to that. ::)

best, Joe