[tor] Action Request: VPS/Shell Providers for Tor Bridge Hosting

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:07:52 +0100

Hi,

https://www.torservers.net/wiki/hoster/bridges

We need a large number of non-consecutive IPs for Tor bridges. Bridges
are used by people behind restrictive firewalls that block access to the
Tor network. They are only used as entry node to reach the Tor network,
and only pass encrypted traffic between Tor clients and Tor middle
nodes. As such, they will not generate abuse complaints or any trouble.

Action Request:

It is very unlikely that any single ISP is able to offer more than ten
non-consecutive IPs from different subnets. Please help us and look for
cheap “unmetered” VPS with cheap pricing for extra IPs.

Please collect possible VPS/shell offers and a contact email address and
we will approach them.

Shell/eggdrop/IRC bounce providers usually have cheap shell accounts and
can be found on IRC to chat about it.
Also, it is probably worth to ask in various hosting forums. Often, ISPs
are not antipathetic towards helping especially blocked Tor users (who
usually are not the ones abusing the network).

Open Questions

- how do we monitor usage?
- how do we run a bridge authority? what benefits does that bring?
- how do we keep track of who we gave the bridge IP to?

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/