[torontocbm] Reading/Writing 1581 Disks Under Windows 2K/XP

  • From: "Leif Bloomquist" <leif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:16:40 -0400

Hi all,

Several people recently asked me about how to read/write DSDD 1581
disks under Windows 2K/XP without any special cables or hardware.
Here's a quick tutorial.

1. You need to read or write the disk as an entire .D81 image.  Some
tools for manipulating D81 images and adding/removing programs are:

    -DirMaster (www.style64.org)
    -64 Copy (www.64copy.com)
    -Star Commander (http://sta.c64.org/sc.html)

2. You can read or write the images with either of these tools:

    -OmniFlop (http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm)
    -1581Disk (http://obo.homeip.net/1581disk.zip)

Instructions are included with the programs.  FWIW, I couldn't get
OmniFlop to work on my PC, but many others have used it just fine.

1581Disk works very well and is super-simple to install and use (just
type '1581disk a: mydiskimage.d81' for example.)

Regards,
Leif