[torontocbm] Re: Idea for next 'TWO' TPUG Meetings

  • From: Rui Soares <soaresrui@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

What if we keep it strictly as an 8-bit retro computing night fpr the first
meeting and save the 16-bit retro computing night for next month's. With all
the 8-bit and 16-bit computers that everyone may have in their personal
collections. If everyone brought them all in, it would be too overwhelming.
There are so many stories for each of these generational machines and I believe
that they all have good stories to tell. It would be unfair to do it all at
once. There is a beauty in knowing what has come before and how this affects us
today, and how it will design our future ideas and technology on computing. It
shouldnt' be rushed and I love to listen to good stories on these machines.
They all have personalities and it would only be fair to hear their history and
contribution to the development to the modern computer we see today.

I would want to keep the Atari, Commodore, Apple, IBM's, TRS-80's and etc. Only
on the 8-bit computers and focus on their evolution first, the heated rivary's
between differing standards and their initial influence in the 'Newly' startup
indusrty of having microcomputers available to the home, school and business.
'To the masses' as Jack Tramiel said. Consumers first impressions on
microcomputers and so on. The telecommunications revolution in BBS's, the
startup of computer education and the foresight by shows such at Bit's and
Byte's that computers will be here to stay and will be important for everyone
in the future of business and education.

We can save the 16-bit retrocomputing for the next meeting. Discussing the
advancement of OS technology from being initially command line or a BASIC OS
with the 8-bit computer's to once the 16-bit processor's came to the scene
allowing the technology of GUI's and mouse interface design to be implemented
easily in the 16-bit microcomputers. The last rivalries between the many home
computing standards. The rise of Microsoft and PC clone's. Discussion on how
Commodore, Atari. Tandy and so on lost the computing standard war. Amiga, ST
and Mac with their legacies and influences to current technology standards's
And the rapid computer adoption that 16-bit computer's and with their GUI's and
mouse interface design allowed the common person of any age to use
computer's and that has ended up to what we use today in modern computing.

 Rui Soares
 Crazy in love with Mai-Liis
 and some day flying jet's!