[torontocbm] Re: 1702 and VIC-20?

  • From: Rick Towns <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:29:52 -0500

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that tip! You're right on the money - I found a guy in the US that actually makes the cables and sells them for about $12. Not bad! :)

Rick

On 26-Feb-09, at 4:17 PM, Jim MacKenzie wrote:

The C64 cable won't work (unless it's for the very oldest C64s which are pretty rare) . The C64 uses an 8-pin video port. The very oldest C64s, and the VIC-20, use a 5-pin cable.

You need a VIC-specific cable. Fortunately they're fairly easy to fabricate and even buy. I ordered one off eBay a couple of years ago that works very well.

You'll plug into the front of the 1701/1702. The back jacks are for the C64 with the 8-pin cable, or the C128 with the same cable. The back jacks effectively support SVideo, and in fact you can buy cables now that convert C64/128 output into a standard SVideo cable for connection to modern televisions.

Jim