[tn-moths] Re: The Sesiidae Sessiions--Using Pheromones to attract Clearwings

  • From: Douglas Downs <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:13:58 -0500

Merrill,

Thanks for sharing the Sesiidae string.  Lots of interesting things to think
about in it.  Who knows, several of us may end up amassing impressive Sesiidae
collections.

Doug Downs
Sparta, White County, TN

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:03:01 -0400
Subject: [tn-moths] The Sesiidae Sessiions--Using Pheromones to attract
Clearwings
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lori and others,

At your request I'm forwarding the email string between Dave Beadle, Parker
Backstrom and myself concerning the topic of attracting clearwings with
pheromone traps.  Scroll down to read the string.  The chart is from
http://www.scentry.com/images/ScentryCatalog%20Regular.pdf which is one of the
companies that sell pheromones--there are others mentioned below.  As I
mentioned earlier, I'm planning to order these to try out in my yard this
summer--should be a lot of fun.

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Pheromone lures - Redux
------------------------

From: Backstrom, Parker <parker.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM
To: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "J.Merrill Lynch"
<jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>

Cc: parker backstrom <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, Dave.

Following Merrill’s lead I’m starting to become intrigued by the thought of
seeing and photographing Sesiidae.  Unlike him I’ve been fortunate enough to
see a few: Synanthedon acerni (attracted to lights), S. rileyana, S. exitiosa,
and Carmenta bassiformis (all stumbled upon in the field).  I was wondering if
you could share a few “how to”s.  Without getting into the minutia I thought
you might be able to plant a search image in our heads, kind of a nudge in the
right direction.

Are the pheromone lures embedded into the traps you purchase or do you order
the two separately and combine them?  If they are separate do you place the
lures on the surface of stuff (trees, rocks, whatever)?  Where do you place
them in your yard (e.g. along treeline, in the middle of your garden, etc.)?
What time of the year do you put them out?  What time of day do you put them
out?  When do you check them?  Are the moths clinging to the outside of the
traps or inside?  What species do you target up there, do you use the
pheromones listed below, and what kinds of traps do you prefer?  I failed when
looking for prices on the Scentry website.  What kind of expense can we expect?
 Etc., etc., etc.  Thanks in advance.

By the way, Merrill, I e-mailed Bill Tate just to see if he had any leads on
where we can purchase his guide.  I haven’t heard anything back yet but will
copy you if I do.

Hope to do a little baiting this weekend—Saturday night especially looks
promising with lows in the mid-40s and no rain—but I have to make up some bait
first.

Parker

Parker Backstrom  •  NC Office of Archives and History  •  4610 MSC  •  Raleigh
NC 27699  •  919.807.7280

**Email to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business,
is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to
third parties.

P Please consider the environment before printing.

From: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM
To: "Backstrom, Parker" <parker.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "J.Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>, parker backstrom
<dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The pheromones arrive in sealed bags, usually just a rubber thingy that is
impregnated with the scent. Simply remove the rubber stopper from said bag and
hang them up (separately)  in small mesh bags so the scent can waft around in
the breeze. Hang 'em up wherever you think you may have a chance of the species
you are after, ie. where the host trees occur. In my back yard here in Toronto
I really didn't think I'd get much, but have ended up luring in 7 species!
Sometimes in good numbers. It's all very exciting at times since they are
fascinating creatures to look at. Kids love to see these guys come in so it's a
good family-orientated fun thing to do!! Any time of day is good, but between
10 and 2 seems best. When using these pheromones do not cross contaminate them,
though it is often effective to hang a few up in order to maximize your chances
of whatever species may be lurking. Put then back in sealed bags and store them
in the freezer when not in use. Hope this helps...

DB

<image002.jpg>

----------
From: J. Merrill Lynch <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM
To: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Very helpful.  Will they last a whole season if you keep them frozen when not
in use?

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm

----------
From: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM
To: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>

Hopefully more than one season, depending on how often you pull 'em out...

DB

----------
From: Backstrom, Parker <parker.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
To: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "J.Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>, parker backstrom
<dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Great info, Dave.  Thanks.  I have to say hearing that you’ve managed to lure
in seven species was surprising and encouraging!

To let you both know I did hear from Bill Tate about his clearwing publication.
 Here’s what he told me:

Thank you for your interest. Call - Michigan State University at 517-353-6740
and ask for Publication # NCR 394 “A Guide to the Clearwing Borers of the North
central United States."

The best place to get lures is Great Lakes IPM or Alpha Scents. Before you
purchase be aware that the many of the lures are actually the same chemical
with a different moth name (i.e. Lilac Borer & Peach Tree Borer & Dogwood
Borer). The Peach Tree Borer chemical is ZZ3,13 A, The Lesser Peach Tree Borer
is EZ3,13A, Graperoot Borer is EZ2,13A, Sequoia Pitch Moth is ZZ3,13OH,
Western Popular Moth is EZ3,13OH/ZZ3,13OH 50:50, Popular Twig Borer is EZ 2,13
OH. Scentry makes a general clearwing lure which is primary ZZ 3,13A but
collects many species the number is SC-CWB-L103 in the Great Lakes IPM catalog.
You can cut or add several blends together which can be very effective for
certain species. I am looking for a specimen of Synanthedon richardsi and
Synanthedon castaneae, which should both be in your state so be aware. - Bill.

Merrill, I called MSU this morning to order a copy.  They had more than one in
stock if you want to contact them.  It’s $13 plus $4 s&h.

Had a few FOYs this morning including Phasphida electilis, Udea rubigalis,
Eutrapela clemataria, a Hellinsia plume moth, and, finally, Paleacrita
merriccata.

Be good, boys.

PB