[tn-moths] The Sesiidae Sessiions--Using Pheromones to attract Clearwings

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:03:01 -0400

Lori and others,

At your request I'm forwarding the email string between Dave Beadle, Parker
Backstrom and myself concerning the topic of attracting clearwings with
pheromone traps.  Scroll down to read the string.  The chart is from
http://www.scentry.com/images/ScentryCatalog%20Regular.pdf which is one of
the companies that sell pheromones--there are others mentioned below.  As I
mentioned earlier, I'm planning to order these to try out in my yard this
summer--should be a lot of fun.
Forwarded conversation
Subject: Pheromone lures - Redux
------------------------

From: *Backstrom, Parker* <parker.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM
To: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "J.Merrill Lynch" <
jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: parker backstrom <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi, Dave.

Following Merrill’s lead I’m starting to become intrigued by the thought of
seeing and photographing Sesiidae.  Unlike him I’ve been fortunate enough to
see a few: Synanthedon acerni (attracted to lights), S. rileyana, S.
exitiosa, and Carmenta bassiformis (all stumbled upon in the field).  I was
wondering if you could share a few “how to”s.  Without getting into the
minutia I thought you might be able to plant a search image in our heads,
kind of a nudge in the right direction.

Are the pheromone lures embedded into the traps you purchase or do you order
the two separately and combine them?  If they are separate do you place the
lures on the surface of stuff (trees, rocks, whatever)?  Where do you place
them in your yard (e.g. along treeline, in the middle of your garden,
etc.)?  What time of the year do you put them out?  What time of day do you
put them out?  When do you check them?  Are the moths clinging to the
outside of the traps or inside?  What species do you target up there, do you
use the pheromones listed below, and what kinds of traps do you prefer?  I
failed when looking for prices on the Scentry website.  What kind of expense
can we expect?  Etc., etc., etc.  Thanks in advance.

By the way, Merrill, I e-mailed Bill Tate just to see if he had any leads on
where we can purchase his guide.  I haven’t heard anything back yet but will
copy you if I do.

Hope to do a little baiting this weekend—Saturday night especially looks
promising with lows in the mid-40s and no rain—but I have to make up some
bait first.

Parker

*Parker Backstrom  •  NC Office of Archives and History  •** ** 4610 MSC  •
Raleigh NC 27699**  **•  919.807.7280*

**Email to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
business, is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be
disclosed to third parties.

*P **Please consider the environment before printing.*
 ------------------------------

From: *David Beadle* <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM
To: "Backstrom, Parker" <parker.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "J.Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>, parker backstrom <
dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 The pheromones arrive in sealed bags, usually just a rubber thingy that is
impregnated with the scent. Simply remove the rubber stopper from said bag
and hang them up (separately)  in small mesh bags so the scent can waft
around in the breeze. Hang 'em up wherever you think you may have a chance
of the species you are after, ie. where the host trees occur. In my back
yard here in Toronto I really didn't think I'd get much, but have ended up
luring in 7 species! Sometimes in good numbers. It's all very exciting at
times since they are fascinating creatures to look at. Kids love to see
these guys come in so it's a good family-orientated fun thing to do!! Any
time of day is good, but between 10 and 2 seems best. When using these
pheromones do not cross contaminate them, though it is often effective to
hang a few up in order to maximize your chances of whatever species may be
lurking. Put then back in sealed bags and store them in the freezer when not
in use. Hope this helps...

DB

     <image002.jpg>

----------
From: *J. Merrill Lynch* <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM
To: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Very helpful.  Will they last a whole season if you keep them frozen when
not in use?

Merrill

 --
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm

----------
From: *David Beadle* <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM
To: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>

 Hopefully more than one season, depending on how often you pull 'em out...

DB

----------
From: *Backstrom, Parker* <parker.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
To: David Beadle <dbeadle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "J.Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>, parker backstrom <
dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Great info, Dave.  Thanks.  I have to say hearing that you’ve managed to
lure in seven species was surprising and encouraging!

To let you both know I did hear from Bill Tate about his clearwing
publication.  Here’s what he told me:

Thank you for your interest. Call - Michigan State University at
517-353-6740 and ask for Publication # NCR 394 “A Guide to the Clearwing
Borers of the North central United States."

The best place to get lures is Great Lakes IPM or Alpha Scents. Before you
purchase be aware that the many of the lures are actually the same chemical
with a different moth name (i.e. Lilac Borer & Peach Tree Borer & Dogwood
Borer). The Peach Tree Borer chemical is ZZ3,13 A, The Lesser Peach Tree
Borer is EZ3,13A, Graperoot Borer is EZ2,13A, Sequoia Pitch Moth is
ZZ3,13OH,  Western Popular Moth is EZ3,13OH/ZZ3,13OH 50:50, Popular Twig
Borer is EZ 2,13 OH. Scentry makes a general clearwing lure which is primary
ZZ 3,13A but collects many species the number is SC-CWB-L103 in the Great
Lakes IPM catalog. You can cut or add several blends together which can be
very effective for certain species. I am looking for a specimen of *Synanthedon
richardsi and Synanthedon castaneae, *which should both be in your state so
be aware. - Bill.

Merrill, I called MSU this morning to order a copy.  They had more than one
in stock if you want to contact them.  It’s $13 plus $4 s&h.

Had a few FOYs this morning including Phasphida electilis, Udea rubigalis,
Eutrapela clemataria, a Hellinsia plume moth, and, finally,
Paleacrita merriccata.

Be good, boys.

PB

JPEG image