[tn-moths] Sevier County Moths

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:34:18 -0400

On 16 July 2011 I made a trip to Sevier County in the general vicinity of
Douglas Dam.  While there I photographed three moths shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hsquare/5954683289/in/photostream

I have tentative IDs on two of them, but the third is so nondescript it may
be impossible to identify.  I think the first photo is a Penitent Underwing
Moth, Hodges 8771, and the one with the snout is a Stone-winged Owlet Moth,
Hodges 8356.  The Catocala appeared to be roosting and the other two
appeared to be day fliers.  I would appreciate comments on exactly how far
off base I am.

Best regards,

Harold Howell
Grainger County