[tn-moths] Moth-er's Night Out program last Sat.

  • From: klight10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths-bounce TN Moth Group <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 01:59:03 +0000 (UTC)

The second annual Moth-er's Night Out at the UT Arboretum last Saturday
evening was a great success! Last year we had about 10 people who showed up,
including Diana, it was her birthday that day and she wanted to do something
"different", little did she know she would leave that night hooked on nocturnal
lepidoptera! :) This time it was well-advertised by the Arboretum Society in
the local newspapers, I was thrilled to have a standing room only crowd (the
lobby area of the office is small!) of 40 people. What a nice surprise that
was!  Several elementary-aged children came with their parents (I'm glad they
didn't think it was Mothers' Night Out and left them there for me to babysit!
Ha!), they loved seeing all the insects. Diana helped me by setting up a sheet
on the outside of the building. I set one up between 2 trees near the woods. We
had lots of Grapeleaf Folders, a Tulip Tree Beauty, a Black-bordered Lemon,
Hebrew, lots of micros and several others. I took photos of close to 30
different species, I'll try to get them ID'd soon.

Diana and I talked about wanting to ask the TN Moth-ers to send in some
information about ourselves and perhaps a photo. We thought it would be nice to
get to know each other since we all communicate so often. :) I noticed she
wrote a short bio tonight. I'll try to get mine done soon. Hugh gave us the
idea when he sent info on himself.

I've been working on the new playground in Oak Ridge. It is a community build
and I've been working there nearly every day since last Wed. (thus no recent
reports). There are large, bright security lights set out each night and the
next morning several moths have landed on the equipment. Today I saw a lot of
Tent Caterpillar moths, a gorgeous Rosy Maple moth and several Small Maple
Spanworm moths. Yesterday I rescued a Luna from being buried and saw my first
Wavy-lined Heterocampa! The other workers now alert me to moths that they find!
:) I'm anxious to see what comes tonight.

Well, it's time to go out and check my sheet! Good night.

Kris