[tn-moths] Kris' crazy critter!

  • From: klight10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths-bounce TN Moth Group <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:56:04 +0000 (UTC)

Here is the crazy critter I mentioned in an  earlier email. I noticed something
very tiny (~3mm)  crawling near the blacklight. When I zoomed in on it with my
macro lens I couldn't believe my eyes ... it had little pinchers like a
scorpion! I snapped some photos and enlarged them on the LCD  screen so I could
count the legs. It had 8 legs like a scorpion, but no stinger on the "tail". I
figured the only thing it could be was a pseudoscorpion, so  I ran in and typed
that  into the search box on Bugguide. Sure enough, that's what it was. I had
seen them in books, but I didn't know they were so small. They don't have
wings, so I had  wondered how it got on the sheet.  I was amazed to read that
they hitch a ride on larger insects, especially longhorn beetles. There had
been one of them on the sheet earlier, so I guess that was its "taxi" . And I
thought the mantisfly I saw last year was strange! My sheet has 20 threads per
inch, so that will give a bit of scale to this little creature.

I'm hoping to get some more "moth converts" when I do the Moth-er's Night Out
at the UT Arboretum in Oak Ridge on May 21 at 7:30 PM. That was how Diana got
hooked last year! For those of you in the Oak Ridge / Knoxville area, tell your
friends about it. I'd also love to have any of you who could come with a sheet,
blacklight, extension cord and moth ID knowledge! :) We found approximately 30
different species last year, I hope to see more this year.

Yesterday I was at Frozen Head SP in Morgan Co. on an elementary school field
trip. The kids were delighted to see a couple of Luna moths and what I think is
6838 B – Probole amicaria – Friendly Probole Moth 5-9-11 I'm attaching a photo,
it is a lousy shot, but maybe good enough to ID it. So, that will be a couple
of moths to add to Morgan Co.

Mother's Day turned out to be a great Moth-er's Night! I need to tabulate my
sightings from that night, I saw lots of different moths.

Kris Light

Oak Ridge, TN

Anderson Co.