[tn-moths] Interesting website for lep'ers

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:24:43 -0400

Somebody recently pointed me to this website that I find very useful for my
moth work.  It is an international database for lepidopteran host
plants--you can search by either the plant or moth scientific name and it
will pull up all known food plants or lep species associated with that
moth/plant.  Of course, it's from the British Natural History Museum--those
Brits are way ahead of us.  Knowing a moth's foodplant(s) is another clue
that is often helpful in identifying or eliminating possibilities.  Also,
it's helpful if you know the plants in your area--you can search by plant
name and get some idea of what moths you might expect to find.

Merrill

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/projects/hostplants/

--
J. Merrill Lynch