[tn-moths] Catocala Confusion

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:50:52 -0400

I took this image of two Catocalas on my porch in Halifax County on
Monday night, June 13.  I'm going back and forth between C. gracilis
(Graceful Underwing) and C. sordida (Sordid Underwing).  Despite the
obvious differences in thorax color and extent of the black inner
margin, I believe they are the same species.  Although it doesn't show
on these images, I'm positive the hindwings have yellow and black
bands which rules out C. andromedae.  Unfortunately, I did not capture
either moth to see if the black inner band on the hindwing forms a
complete loop (Sordid) or is broken (Graceful) which is apparently the
diagnostic field mark.  Both feed on blueberries which are common on
my farm and both range across North Carolina.  Has anyone seen either
of these species and know anyway to be reasonably certain of the id
based on the forewing pattern?

According to Covell, both have forms that show a distinct black border
along the inner margin of the FW.

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm