[tn-moths] 3172 Epiblema strenuana

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

I get 2 moths here that have the same colors and pattern as what's pictured on
MPG but the size is drastically different. There's one that's small and very
slender and the other which is at least double the size and is a much more
robust looking moth. I never see anything in between these sizes so I'm
guessing there are really at least 2 different species pictured on MPG.

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=3172

There's no need to say that many of these small Torts cannot be ID'd visually
but I'd like to know if I'm missing something like sexual dimorphism etc. on
this species.

http://tinyurl.com/Kens-Moths-2011