[TN-Butterflies] slowdown in posting foy and bamona records

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:28:40 -0500

Hello to all,

I've come down with a really bad cold/allergy/case of respiratory crud, and I
have not done much but feel sorry for myself since Tuesday.  It is bad enough
that I am thinking that I will not be able to do field work for the Putnam
County Spring Bird Count tomorrow, so you know it is bad.

Anyhow, when I do get to feeling better, which I hope is soon, I have to deal
with a set of final exams that have to be graded by this coming Monday at the
latest.  After that I have to make final revisions on and send in the Christmas
Bird Count report for the 109th CBC in TN.  After that I will have to see if
anything new has come in and needs dealing with regarding the Journal of the
Tennessee Academy of Science, of which I am Managing Editor. Once those matters
are attended to, I will be able to get back to FOY and BAMONA records; this may
take a week or even longer, so please be patient, and please keep sending in
those records; I WILL get to them.

Speaking of BAMONA records, a sea-change in the kind of records desired has
taken place of late.  It now appears that BAMONA wants ALL butterfly records
that it can get, not just new county records or records of rare 'flies. This
new record hunger at BAMONA includes the results from field trips, butterfly
counts, backyard counts, everything.  The catch is that the data currently have
to be submitted on an EXCEL spreadsheet with correctly labeled columns--about
15 of them.  The columns for which data are needed include the genus and
species names (but not the common name) of the butterfly; the State; the
County; the specific site; the lat-long data (more and more desired but not yet
mandatory); the date; the name of the observer; the type of record (sight
record, photo, or specimen); the name of the verifier (SJS); an indication of
whether or not the specimen, if obtained, is in a collection; where the
collection is housed if so; and any notes that seem pertinent to the record.

Anyway, if any of you are willing to fill out spreadsheets with these data for
any of your past, present, or future field trips and send to me, I can then
forward them to BAMONA for inclusion in the database. Let me know, if so, and I
will send along the template for the spreadsheet.

If you have GPS data for any of your records already submitted, please send
along as time and inclination allow. BAMONA wants to go to a system of mapping
that will allow for data to be presented in more precise ways than just filling
in a county with color if there is a record, and GPS data will allow for this
to take place.

Moths: I am still hoping someone will step forward and agree to be the
coordinator for Moths in TN at BAMONA. I find I just can't work in the time
needed to do the work of submitting moth data to BAMONA plus do all the other
stuff I am doing and still have any quality time for myself to do field work
with 'flies and birds, have a family life, etc.  I hate that this is the case,
but right now it is, and I do not expect it will change anytime soon.  So if
you have a hankering to gain fame and fortune as a moth coordinator, now is the
time to step up.  Note: When I accepted the BAMONA coordinatorship in TN, I
thought it was just for the butterflies, but I discovered after the fact that
moths were included in the job description, though I have yet to find time to
deal with them.  I am saving everything I get about moths, and will eventually
do the work of submitting the data when I retire if no one steps up before that.

Virally laid up,

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)