[TN-Butterflies] (no subject)

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:18:23 -0600

To be as clear as possible, I am for a listserv that provides as much
detail as each participant is willing to offer, letting those who want
less detail simply delete the messages they don't want to read.  But I
also don't want to lose a large number of participants if this approach
is going to drive them away; some middle ground could probably be
reached if that were to be the case.  So far, it looks like the few who
have responded to this issue are on the same side that I am on.  If that
continues to be the case, then the usual approach of a listserv-to let
everyone have his or her say to the fullest extent possible-can be
continued.

If I understand the situation correctly, the approach we will take with
regard to FOY records and new county records for BAMONA is to run them
all through the listserv, from which I can extract them as I have find
time and energy.

I try to be as liberal as possible about accepting FOY records; if I
have questions about a record, I will try to ask them to the individual,
not through the listserv (sometimes I screw up in this regard, for which
apologies in advance).  FOY sightings need to be submitted with a date
and a county where the sighting was made, along with the name(s) of
those who saw the butterfly in question.  If you know that your sighting
is also a new county record, please say that.  If you keep records in
such a way as to know if your sighting is earliest ever or latest ever
for your county, please say that, too.

New county records for BAMONA need to be supported with a recognizable
photo, preferably labeled in the manner that I describe at my website
(see below for link).  If so labeled, then all the data needed for the
sighting will be automatically available for use in updating the county
butterfly list at BAMONA.  If you use your own label format, then be
sure that each new county record you send in has the name of the species
reported, the date, the specific site of the photo, the county name, and
the name of the photographer (and any others who saw the butterfly). If
you are unsure of your identification, you can send the photo to me
and/or others before submitting to the listserv.

Many thanks to all who plan to take part in the FOY effort or the new
county record at BAMONA effort or both.

Many thanks to David Trently for posting all the TN butterfly count
data; this will be a big help for those who want to take part in one or
more of these count.  Rita Venable says she will also post dates at the
Middle TN NABA website if folks will send her the info.

Good butterflying, Steve Stedman

Cookeville (Putnam County)

Link to the page of my website that includes labeling instructions for
photos (at the bottom of the page):

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/ButterflyDocumentationTN.htm