[TN-Butterflies] White County 'Flies

  • From: Douglas Downs <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:22:54 -0500

I spent a bit more than three hours Saturday (4-18) looking for butterflies and
birds on the plateau (Bon Air Mountain) in eastern White County.  Areas covered
included Scott's Gulf, Centennial Wilderness, and Coal Bank Road.  The
following 'flies were seen:

Pipevine Swallowtail - 2 (FOS)
Zebra Swallowtail - 6
Black Swallowtail - 4 (FOS)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 2
Checkered White - 2
Falcate Orangetip - 3 (including one female)
Sulfur Sp. - 5
Clouded Sulfur - 4
Monarch - 1
Gemmed Satyr - 3 (FOS, photo, BAMONA record)
Duskywing sp. - 90+

I have taken a number of pics of the many Duskywings I saw on Saturday.  Some
were noticeably smaller than the others so I am hoping to cull through the pics
in detail to make some specific id's.

Best to all,
Doug Downs
Sparta, White County, TN