[TN-Butterflies] Re: The butterfly garden is paying off!

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:17:14 -0500

Are your zinnias the old-fashioned kind or the dwarf? My lantana is having a
hard time getting started for some reason. It's just not growing much.

I am seeing a ton of Silver-spotted Skippers in my yard, mostly nectaring on
sweet pepperbush (Clethra alnifolia). The pepperbush also had American
Snout, E. Tiger ST and Gray Hairstreak on it. I don't think I've ever had
Little Yellows in my yard, but did see them the other day not far from here.
Lots of nectaring on mint plants as well as the abelia. I have not seen one
Clouded Skipper this year. I let a little Lamb's quarter grow up for the
Sootys.

RV