[TN-Butterflies] NABA/BAMONA

  • From: "owlshill" <owlshill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:35:35 -0500

Folks,

Both Ed and Steve make good points about data. As a compiler of NABA counts for several years, I would like to point out that getting the NABA count data each year requires paying a nominal fee (last year, $6) for the publication. You can order it from NABA or from any compiler. If you participate in a count, you can order it at the time you sign up and pay your participation fee. If you want data beyond that, you then know who to go to as all compilers must list contact info.

NABA has done a wonderful job of interesting the public in butterflies; BAMONA is a tremendous resource for all - casual viewers and scientists alike. Let's not have a spat!

Nancy Garden
Secretary
Middle Tennessee Chapter, NABA

----- Original Message ----- From: <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Re: A two-white day at Kentucky Manor - May 9, 2009
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 08:02:21 -0500

surprise for the yard. Hadn't really thought of the possibility of it
occurring. This was the seventh identified species for Kentucky Manor =
for
the season and a new one for me. A female Cabbage White had already =
ventured
by so this made a two-white day at Kentucky Manor.=20
=20
=20
May, 9, 2009. Kentucky Manor, 5211 Kentucky Avenue, Nashville, Davidson
County, TN=20
   360934N (36.15944) and 0865102W (-86.85055)
=20
Checkered White - 1 female; digital.
Cabbage White - 2, at least one female; digital.
=20
Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN

------------------------------

From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Why not "Butterflies I've Seen"?
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 08:34:20 -0500

In regard to the posting a couple of days ago by Steve Stedman on BAMONA's
desire for all butterfly records on special EXCEL spreadsheets, this would
have been an excellent idea had not NABA already established the very user
friendly site, "Butterflies I've Seen"
(http://www.nababis.org/servlets/Sightings). This seems to be the
butterflier's answer to eBird; i.e., why would you use anything else for
your records?

Sorry, but I don't know about the politics of the two organizations, but it would seem like BAMONA should work with Butterlies I've Seen to improve it,
get the data (ask for local reviewers), and encourage people to use it.

-Ed LeGrand
Cumberland County

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:20:00 -0400
From: "J. Basham" <jbasham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] May 9,  Polk County  Appalachian Butterflies

It was good to get out for a while on Saturday.  The sun shone between
thunderstorms just long enough for a few butterflies to get out and wing
around.  Stephen Johnson and I had our first Appalachian Azure of the
year, a nice male, and some more beautiful Appalachian Tiger
Swallowtails.  Found a new colony of Golden-banded Skippers, saw 32 of
them, and estimate 200-300 individuals  on the mountainside.  Was lucky
enough to find my first ever Rare Spring Moth, had seen the Common
Spring Moth, but this little fellow was black with blue jeweling,
fantastic.  Reminds one of some of the blue, spread wing skippers in
Mexico and Central America.  Had the last Cobweb Skipper of the year.
It's amazing how almost unrecognizable they become at the end of their
season.
Look at the difference in size and color between the two Appalachians
and the two Easterns in the one photo.  Also note the almost total lack
of blue on dorsal hindwing on the two Appalachians. The Appalachians are
a much paler yellow as well.

Julius Basham

------------------------------

From: "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] FOY - Hamilton County
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:39:17 -0400

I had a Hackberry Emperor flitting around the deck out back this morning.

Dave Spicer
Ooltewah, TN

------------------------------

From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] submission of butterfly data: bamona vs. bis
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 13:43:32 -0500

As most of you know, the Butterflies and Moths of North America (BAMONA) website presents information about the distribution of lepidoptera that is probably more accurate and more current than are the distributional data available at any other online or published butterfly (or moth) source. BAMONA provides distributional data down to the county (for US) and state (for Mexico) level about each of the species covered by the website (and the list of species gets longer each year, mainly as more and more moth species are added to the database). Efforts to include BAMONA coverage of the Canadian provinces are also proceeding. If you were to look for a website that provided distributional information of comparable completeness and accuracy for any other large group of related taxa in North America, you would probably look in vain. Certainly no such website is available for the birds of North America. The only competitor might be the website for North American dragonflies and da mselflies--which as a group is far smaller than the group of butterflies and moths. BAMONA is in the process of increasing its coverage of the continental lep fauna from a mainly distribution-related focus to one that encompasses distribution, abundance, and trend analysis, as well as even more life history related issues on down the road. To this end, sources of abundance data are being sought that offer a fairly high degree of accuracy, to complement the fairly high degree of accuracy that BAMONA distribution data have had and continue to have based on its two-tiered system of review (i.e., all BAMONA records pass through a state reviewer and then pass through a continental reviewer before they are entered into the database).

A seemingly logical place for BAMONA personnel to look for abundance data about butterflies is within the archives of the Butterflies I've Seen (BIS) database maintained by the North American Butterfly Association (NABA). I am not sure how long NABA has had BIS in operation, but probably at least a decade, so there are many data housed there. The problem with the BIS program is that the data entered into it have never been the subject of any kind of review, so there may be considerable inconsistency in the quality of the archived data. In order for BIS data to become useful to BAMONA, a thorough vetting of all the data would need to be accomplished. This is a large but seemingly doable task, presuming that both sides are willing to make it happen. The question then becomes finding out if both sides are indeed willing to make that effort and, if they are, getting a process in place to vet the data. I will see what I can learn about prospects for mutual cooperation on thi s issue from both organizations, whose politics are not entirely known to me--but what little I do know does not lead me to believe that such a vetting could be put in place quickly (pehaps not for several years).

In the meantime, we can wait for BAMONA and BIS to become reconciled to one another data-wise or we can begin to supply BAMONA with the data it needs to begin its transformation from a website focused on distribution to a website focused on distribution, abundance, and trend analysis (and much more). Given this choice, I say let's start supplying BAMONA with the kind of properly vetted data it wants and hope that NABA and its BIS data can be brought into the equation as soon as possible.

Besides its BIS data, NABA has also become responsible for the Fourth of July butterfly counts across the continent. Here is a source of butterfly abundance data that HAVE been vetted already. Data from each NABA butterfly count go through the hands of a compiler; then the data receive a regional review--with our own Bill Haley from Chattanooga serving in this capacity for all the counts from Tennessee (and Kentucky and West Virginia) and with Rita Venable, one of Tennessee's most respected field butterfliers, sometimes assisting Bill in his reviewing efforts; and then the data go through a continental review before being published. The problem with getting the NABA butterfly count data to BAMONA is that NABA itself has butterfly experts who are analyzing the butterfly count data for what light they can shed on changes in distribution and trends in butterfly populations. Given its investment in the butterfly counts, NABA might have qualms about sharing the butterfly count
data with BAMONA.  Or it might not; I just do not know.

Let me say that I have been encouraging Tennessee butterfliers to use the NABA-supported BIS butterfly archive for several years, and I will continue to do that. But, given that I have not seen much result from the BIS program in the way of expanded knowledge about, or information access to, butterflies during the past five years, I view BIS as mainly being a way to safeguard one's personal butterfly data. Given what I have seen BAMONA do on a daily basis with the butterfly data going to it in the way of expanded distributional knowledge of butterflies and moths, I am inclined to want to share all my more meaningful butterfly counts with them as well.

How we archive and share our butterfly data (i.e., with BIS and BAMONA) is not an either/or issue; both ways of perpetuating our butterfly data have value, and I encourage all Tennessee butterfliers to submit to each of these worthy programs.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)

------------------------------

From: "tom howe" <blountbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Blount Co. FOYs
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 18:05:53 -0400

Blount Co FOYs
05-09-09

Viceroy at Whites Mill Refuge

Zabulon Skipper at the house in Alcoa

Tom Howe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 21:26:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller  <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] FOY Greene County

May 10, 2009
First-of-year sightings for Greene County today:

American Copper
Red-spotted Purple
Sachem

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

------------------------------

Subject: [TN-Butterflies] FOY's for Washington Co
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 21:55:10 -0400
From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx

SUN 10 MAY 2009
circa 11 am
Cherokee Rd., Washington Co., TN

Sachem - FOY
Zabulon Skipper - FOY
Pearl Crescent - FOY
Red-spotted Purple - FOY
Carolina Satyr - FOY
Little Wood Satyr - FOY

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN

End of tn-butterflies Digest V2 #92

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.