[TN-Butterflies] Re: Little Yellow

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:40:32 -0500

There does seem to be a preference for dry areas, whether sandy or red clay
hills, but the most important thing seems to be open weedy areas, such as Ken
was describing.  I will see them in wet bottomlands if there are host plants
available.  The last couple of years there seems to have been good numbers,
definitely outnumbering Sleepy Oranges, but not as common as Orange Sulphurs
for sure and except this year, Cloudless Sulphurs.  As Ken pointed out, we
(West TNeans) mainly see our Clouded Sulphurs in spring when the ratio to
Orange Sulphurs seems about even, swinging to 10-20 to 1 Oranges during the
summer, with a slight uptick of Cloudeds again in the fall.

Bart Jones

Memphis, Shelby County

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:56:20 -0500
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Little Yellow
From: ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx
To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have yet to find a field guide that does not describe the Little Yellow
habitat as dry and sandy (Okay, I just found one, Butterflies of the
Carolinas). Ditto that they are common in the Southeast. First of all, I do not
always find them in dry sandy areas in Middle TN, plus they are not as common
as Orange Sulphurs, Clouded Sulphurs, Sleepy Orange and Cloudless Sulphurs here.

Is it the same in your area (East & West TN, Plateau)? I am curious to see if
you see them abundantly/commonly and if you find them in dry, sandy areas.

inbox.