[TN-Butterflies] FOY for McMinn County

  • From: "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TN-Butterflies'" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:05 -0400

Scott, Jon and I spent the afternoon in McMinn county today. The highlight
of the day was finding 5 or 6 Northern Southern Hairstreaks nectaring on the
only Privet bush that we found on Starr Mountain. I probably wouldn't have
looked very closely since in other areas I've never seen much of anything on
Privet. Maybe this was a popular place since it was the only nectar source
around. The Hairstreaks were sharing with Azures, a Banded Hairstreak, an
American Lady and later on our way out a Zebra Swallowtail.

Seen today:
Silver-spotted Skipper - FOY and BAMONA
Hoary Edge - FOY and BAMONA
Northern Cloudywing - FOY and BAMONA
Zebra Swallowtail - FOY and BAMONA
Spicebush Swallowtail - FOY and BAMONA
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - FOY
Cabbage White - FOY and BAMONA
Orange Sulphur - FOY and BAMONA
Banded Hairstreak - FOY and BAMONA
Striped Hairstreak - FOY and BAMONA
Northern Southern Hairstreak - FOY and BAMONA
Azure sp. Most likely Summer. Will be FOY and BAMONA if the experts agree.
American Snout - FOY and BAMONA
Great-spangled Fritillary - FOY
Variegated Fritillary - FOY and BAMONA
Eastern Comma - FOY and BAMONA
Red Admiral - FOY and BAMONA
Question Mark
American Lady - FOY and BAMONA
Hackberry Emperor - FOY and BAMONA
Tawny Emperor - FOY and BAMONA
Little Wood Satyr - FOY and BAMONA
Clouded Skipper - FOY
Dun Skipper - FOY and BAMONA
Carolina Satyr - FOY
Little Glassywing - FOY

Pending verification we could also have:
Tawny-edged Skipper - FOY and BAMONA
Crossline Skipper - FOY and BAMONA

I've posted some pictures from the day at
http://www.pbase.com/dspicer/mcminn522.

I will be sending pictures to Steve for the BAMONA records.

Dave Spicer
Hamilton County