[TN-Butterflies] FOY for Chester County

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:03:32 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday I checked my local Butterflyweed plants and most are still just buds
but one was just starting to bloom so I made a point of visiting the plant this
morning to check for Coral Hairstreaks.

5/23
Coral Hairstreak (photo attached)

I found another Northern Oak Hairstreak today. It was on its last leg and was
extremely worn but there was enough there to make the ID.

Butterflies in general are few and far between although there are some signs of
a rebound. I have hundreds of blooming Zinnias but for the most part, I've only
seen a few Great Spangled Fritillaries nectaring on them but today there was a
fresh Tiger Swallowtail along with the frits. A few fresh Pearl Crescents and
some of the orangest Orange Sulphurs I've ever seen are also showing up along
with a few fresh versions of this and that. Grass Skippers are completely
absent.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County