[TN-Butterflies] Re: 3 photos for comparison

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <humble1@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'freelists tn-butterflies'" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:00:44 -0500

I not weighing in on this to ID, but to learn. Since Carol's post, I looked
at other images. The Silvery has white filled spots near the trailing edge
of the hindwing top and bottom while Pearl's are orange. Will Cook's site
does show an odd Silvery with not white filled spots,
http://www.carolinanature.com/butterflies/silverycheckerspot.html. I expect
orange and black are variable in both species, but perhaps more vivid and
concentrated in Silvery.  Jeff Pippins site shows variation in subspecies,
http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/butterflies/silverycheckerspot.htm. The
Georgia site that David told us about today has a number of images,
http://www.shrike.net/butterflies/5-brush-foots/sich.html. On to the
experts.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN