[TN-Bird] white-winged doves-not for this birder

  • From: David Chaffin <davchaffin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:30:59 -0400 (EDT)

 TN birders,

Spent a total of 15 1/2 hours total on Wednesday and Thursday on Presidents
Island looking in the three locations that they have been seen for the past
several weeks.  The hours cover all the day light hours, and I was constantly
on the move covering these 3 sites, as directed by Jeff Wilson and others that
had had previous success.  On Wed, the number of total birds was down
drastically, and apparently they were on the river or elsewhere, having their
daily routine altered by something.  Jeff assisted in the search for several
hours late Wed, and actually had a single bird in a tree briefly.  However, I
was not able to get on the bird, and by the time I had retrieved the scope from
the car, the bird had left.

Did have a single American white pelican and the blue morph snow goose at TVA
lake on Thursday when I took a lunch break, and Jeff and I had a single Caspian
Tern in the cove at the base of Presidents Island on Wed evening late.  All
three were TN year birds for me.

Consolation prize on the way home were 5 upland sandpipers at the Tuscumbia Sod
Farm on US Hwy-72 in Alcorn Co between Theo and Corinth, MS, which represented
a state bird for me.

David Chaffin
Cleveland TN
Bradley Co