[TN-Bird] what are your sightings worth?

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:47:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

I'm gonna get back up on the soapbox, so please bear with me.

Everyone on this list likes birds.  Most of the people on this list
keep track of what they see in some form or other.  Some of the
people on this list keep lots of detailed notes.

But someday, we're all going to be gone.  What will become of those
notecards, diaries, journals, spreadsheets or databases?  For most of
us, our families will just discard them as unknown stuff.

Wouldn't you rather that all that hard work actually have some value?
 Well, it could.  It won't cost you a penny.

I just gave Great Smoky Mountains National Park 1300 separate
observations.  They are adding it to their database.  They are happy
about this.

I've only lived here 4.5 years, and I know some of you folks have
seen MANY more birds than I have.  Have you shared that information
with land owners?

I encourage -no -BEG you to put that information together in some
usable way, and give it to the managers of the WMA, or NWR, or city
park, or National Park, or wherever it is that you bird.  It would be
most helpful to them if you would first contact them to find out what
format is best.

Right now Paul Super of Great Smoky Mountains National Park is trying
to update the park's database, and there is simply no observation
that is unimportant to him.  As long as you have species, date and
location (be as specific as you are able) he can use it.  Additional
information that would make it even better includes:  elevation,
number of individuals, sexes, ages, and coordinates (preferably in
UTM)

I would be happy to collect them and give them to him.

btw, if you have a database, it is likely that you can simply export
your observations into a text-only file.  This saves time.

charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson