[TN-Bird] weird week in the neighborhood / starlings

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:44:39 -0500 (EST)

Ok, yesterday it was a Merlin.  Today as I pulled out of the
driveway I was startled to see a Great Blue Heron sitting on
top of the neighbors' roof.  I've had them here as fly-overs
but not just sitting there on the roof.  Maybe it was
thinking of going fishing in their hottub.

On Carole's Starling, E Wood-Pewee is one of the songs I
frequently hear starlings imitate, but, like Carole mentioned,
just the pee-o-wee, never the follow-up pee-oo.  I think our
starlings are about better than the mockingbirds.  At least
the mockers repeat everything 3-4 times in a row so you know
it's them and not the real bird.  Our starling's repetoire
lately consists mainly of the screech call of a cowbird, the
"chuck" of a grackle and the "sometimes you feel like a nut"
song of an E Meadowlark along with other assorted squeeks and
rattles.  Very realistic and since they only give each call
once, very confusing at times.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN