[TN-Bird] weekend yard birds

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:29:46 -0400 (EDT)

Wow.  Not a bad weekend around Knoxville.

On Saturday (27 Sept), I added yard bird #111, Golden-winged
Warbler.  If not for Dunn and Garrett's Warbler guide, this
one might have went down as #110.5, "Lawrence's" Warbler.
It had a lot of green on the back, something I had never
seen in a Golden-wing.  Sibley and the Helm guide to warblers
doesn't show the first-fall female (ohh, alliteration) but
Dunn and Garrett do and point out that they do indeed have
green backs.  I've seen the babies on Windrock but this was
a life plumage for me.

On Sunday, I decided to start the Knox County Fall Count by
birding the backyard.  Good decision.  I ended the day with
43 species from the yard starting with a singing Carolina
Wren before dawn and ending with a calling Barred Owl about
an hour ago.  In some ways this was the best birding day I've
had in the yard since moving in just over a year and a half
ago.  Most came during three hours of birding this morning.

Two new yard birds, #112: Nashville Warbler and #113: American
Kestrel, both overdue.

9 warbler species breaking the previous single-day total of
6 set a few times.

43 species apparently breaking the previous single-day total
of 35 set twice.

All this and the Cubs clinched their division!  Woohoo!

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN