[TN-Bird] warbers, oriole

  • From: "Dan and Laurie Mooney" <birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TNBIRDS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:05:36 -0400

The creek yielded a few first of season birds for me today.  Baltimore oriole,
magnolia, Canada and Hooded warblers put in first post breeding appearances
with black and white, wormeating, and American redstarts which have been
passing through.  Yesterday's golden-winged warbler failed to show up today
while I had the camera ready! Other neotropicals included gray catbird,
red-eyed vireo, indigo bunting and a host of ruby-throated humming birds.

We have 4 hummer feeders out and it seems that there is a constant battle at
each feeder with 3 or four birds keeping each other thirsty.  One pair of
juveniles locked talons and went to the ground and came back up still gripping
each other.  They buzzed off into the underbrush belly to belly.

Total for the yard today was 31 species.

Dan Mooney
Knoxville, TN