[TN-Bird] very early Fox Sparrow (Henry County)

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:45:11 -0500

October 18, 2:30 pm
Paris, Henry County

My husband and I were shocked to see a Fox Sparrow in our yard this
afternoon. We usually only see these after a snow or in extreme cold, but
the bird was unmistakable. I have submitted it to eBird so will just copy
my eBird comments to this email.

--------------------
While sitting on back porch we noted a Fox Sparrow flying from woodland
edge into the yard, and were shocked because it was so early. Bird was
unmistakable and easily differentiated from Song Sparrow. It was at such
close range (about 30 feet) that I was able to easily identify this bird by
eye, but it was also viewed with binoculars by my husband. Plump and robust
bird, typical Fox Sparrow behavior of kicking leaves and feeding near
brushy cover. Taiga form with bold rufous breast spots converging in
middle, rufous and contrasting grey streaking on back and large areas of
grey on nape and face. I went for a camera but the bird had moved on. We
usually only see Fox Sparrows in extreme cold or snow and much later in the
year.

Shawna Ellis