[TN-Bird] veery & rose-breasted grosbeak on brady mountain, cumberland county

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:46:33 -0500

After conducting 30 point counts in Putnam County yesterday (6 June
2006) morning (making 230 points completed in 7 days; just 270 more to
go, well, 240 after today), I took a breather and hiked Brady Mountain
in Cumberland County yesterday afternoon with Joseph Mast, who found
Veeries on Dorton Knob near the southern end of Brady Mountain,
Cumberland Trail State Park, during June 2005, the first time (I am
aware of) that this fine songster has been found in that county during
the breeding season.  We started this 8-mile hike at 1530 CDT and ended
it about 2100 CDT.  Along the top of the mountain on the western side we
found 3 singing Cerulean Warblers, a species I have not previously found
at this site during May or June, but one which I have suspected must be
present, judging from the nice habitat.  Near the high point (2800 feet)
of the hike we also found a Chestnut-sided Warbler.  We arrived in the
vicinity of Dorton Knob about 1930 CDT and heard another CSWA there.
While we waited for the Veeries to begin their evening chorus, we heard
a Rose-breasted Grosbeak calling; we then saw the bird, a female
carrying food for young.  I saw a male RBGR on nearby Hinch Mountain
during late May of a year back in the mid-1980s, but there are few
summer season records, and even fewer breeding records, of this species
away from Frozen Head State Natural Area within the Upper Cumberland
Region.  At 1946 CDT we heard the first Veery sing; by 2010 CDT we had
counted at least four singing Veeries at this site, some of which has
been logged since last year. I got home at 2220 CDT and decided I would
delay getting up for more point counts until 0445 CDT, just to make sure
I wasn't too bleary-eyed this morning, and I wasn't.  Just 17 more
point-counting and breeding-bird-surveying days to go.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN