[TN-Bird] uplands-Baird's - Ensley Bottoms

  • From: olcoot1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:00:47 -0400

Aug. 25, 2007
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
Mike Todd joined me for a day of Wind Birds. Before Mike got there I had found
a couple of Baird's and seen?two Wilson's Phalarope. After setting up we were
able to find 2 immature Baird's?plus 6 adults and after about an hour 3
immature Wilson's Phalarope had returned. We spent hours running through the
various colors, plumages and ages, time and again talking about some new point
or odd plumaged bird. We photograhed a wide variety of these differences
including one partially albinistic Least Sandpiper. At one time we had standing
in a row; immatures of Baird's, Pectoral, Western, Semipalmted and Least
Sandpipers, such a great set of colorful?birds to have in view.

We decided to check the fields for Buffy and Uplands?finding and witnesing two
of the many treats and?surprises of the day. While scanning one field we
flushed 3 Upland Sandpipers and then a fouth flew up giving that wonderful
call. Then another flush and proceeded to land on a power line about 16 feet of
the ground. I've seen them on wires before but never around here so we took
some photos but then the bird took it to another LEVEL. It flew up to a power
line which I knew to be 90 feet above the ground. Setting a new Memphis record
for high perching shorebirds!! Late in the afternoon 3 of these Uplands got up
and with much calling headed south. Also a Black-bellied Plover dropped in for
a few mintues rest and then flew away giving its plantive call.

A total of 15 species of Wind Birds: Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer,
Black-necked Stilt, Spotted Sandpiper,?Solitary Sandpiper, 5-Upland Sandpiper,
Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated?Sandpiper, Western
Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, 8 -Baird's Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, 3-Stilt
Sandpiper and 3-Wilson's Phalarope.?

Jeff R. Wilson
Ol'Coot / TLBA
Bartlett, TN