[TN-Bird] upcoming KTOS Rankin Field Trip

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:54:52 -0400 (EDT)

The Knoxville Chapter of TOS will host a field trip to Rankin WMA
in Cocke Co., TN, on Saturday, 26 August 2006.  Please meet at
the Stokely Building on Cedar Bluff at noon.  We typically
also stop at the Hardee's at exit 417 on I-40 in Jefferson Co.
around 12:45 as a secondary meeting point and for last-chance
food and restroom breaks.  Once at Rankin, there is no planned,
coordinated return trip; some folks usually elect to stay until
dark to watch the waders come to roost.

Field trip leader is Dean Edwards (865-660-9701 cell, kde@xxxxxxx).
Feel free to contact me for directions if you are not familiar
with either of the meeting points.

The Douglas Lake level is expected to be at about 984ft which
should expose considerable mudflats for shorebirds and waders.
The weather forecast for Saturday is clear and sunny with highs
near 90F.  There is very little shade at Rankin and no restrooms
so plan accordingly.  Bring plenty of water, food and sunscreen.
A lawn chair is often a good idea as we will do limited walking.
Mosquitos are typically not a problem but come prepared anyway.
Expect very muddy conditions so bring appropriate shoes.  The
drive in to Rankin has been improved but high-clearance vehicles
are still a good idea (though my old Saturn made many a trip here).

Scopes will be needed to see the birds but many people will have
them and will be willing to share so don't let that stop you from
coming.

Expected species included many species of shorebirds (with Marbled
Godwit, Ruff, Red and Wilson's Phalarope, Black-bellied and
American Golden-Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, and Western Willet
among those found on previous years' trips), waders (including
large numbers of Great Egret, and possibly Snowy and Cattle
Egrets, Little Blue Heron, White Ibis and Wood Stork), raptors
(Osprey, Peregrine Falcon and Bald Eagle all possible or likely),
gulls, terns, waterfowl and songbirds (possibly Willow Flycatcher,
Prothonotary Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Baltimore Oriole and dozens
of swallows and Eastern Kingbirds).

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES