[TN-Bird] thoughts on owl update (Great Horned Owl)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:01:57 -0500

Dean Edwards and TN-Birders:

You noted in your post that the a bird was near the nest which you believe
is a Red-tailed
Hawk nest from last year.  I assume you were saying a Great Horned Owl was
at the nest.
You did not mention whether the owl was on the nest as in incubating /
brooding, standing
atop the nest or perched on a limb near the nest.  Did it return from
hunting with food ?
Did it go back to the nest ?

the young Great
Horned Owls from last year have dispersed from the nesting area.  Adult owls
start breeding so early there is little chance the young are still in the
vicinity of the
parents (no matter what call they are making).  The adults maintain their
home range
(nesting territory within) the year around in our more southern region.
Any adult
bird(s) on the range would have driven last year's  young away due to the
continuing
demand that adults have to gather food and preserve their own food supply.
The fall
territory hooting began in October and pairs (which roost apart within the
range during
the late summer and fall) have been coming back together during late fall
and early
winter.

We have often found a Great Horned Owl's roost in a solitary pine or small
grove of pines
isolated in a larger hardwood lot.  About this time of year the bird will
frequently move its roost.
When we find a roosting bird has left it's early-winter roost, we know it
has joined with a
mate near the nest for this breeding season.  The crows will show us that
location if we
watch carefully.  The two don't always show up at the nest tree location at
the same time
but probably do most years.  He has been spending time capturing food and
offering her
food as part of the mating ritual.

If the bird you saw at the Red-tailed Hawk nest is a Great Horned Owl and is
down on the
nest then most likely it is an incubating bird.  The mate is usually
roosting within 50
yards or so where the nest can be watched.

If the bird was standing atop the nest, then nesting readiness may be
underway.  Look
carefully at the nest and see if you can find fresh pine needs showing along
the edge of
the rim.  Also look to see if a breast feather or two is blowing gently in
the wind where it
has been snagged in an outer stick of the nest.  The female (I believe that
is the correct
sex here) pulls out breast feathers and lines the nest with a soft, shallow
patch of feathers
on which to lay her eggs.  Sometimes the feathers fall from the birds beak
or are blow from
the nest and hang in the sticks of the rim.  Also, some blow onto the ground
not far from
the nest.  The adult owls frequently adorn the rim of the nest with just
very small
amounts of white pine needles or other species of pines.  These are the
fresh needles
you can see.

A bird, down on the nest and somewhat concealed from the ground,  will
usually sit tight
on eggs and not flush easily.    Sometimes the nearby roosting mate will
flush when you
approach the nest and will be chased by whatever crows can pick up on the
excitement.

It is generally believed that the young from last year will disperse from
their nest site and
usually not go much further than 20 miles.

Ken Hale, Bert Hale, Lorraine Hale and I had two young which we banded from
one nest
recovered after dispersal.  They were banded 10 March 1973 on Silver Grove
Road south
of Bristol in Sullivan Co.  One was found injured 11 years and 9 months
later on 1 Dec.
1984  about 10 miles south of the nest site where banded.  The second
nestling was found
dead  13 years and 6 months after banding on 16 Sept. 1986.  The band was
found among
a pile of bones with the band on a leg bone.  That was 12 miles north of the
banding site
on Haskel Station Road in Washington Co., VA.   Some feathers were present
so it has
not been dead very long.

I hope these thoughts provide some useful insight.

Let's go birding....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN