[TN-Bird] tennessee christmas bird counts for the past cbc season

  • From: "Stedman, Stephen" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:05:42 +0000

The 31 CBCs conducted in Tennessee during the 114th CBC season represented a
record number for the state; many thanks go to all the participants and the 25
or so compilers who make the CBCs happen each year.

Currently, all but two of the CBCs conducted during the past season have been
marked as complete by their respective compilers; if you are among the pair of
compilers who have not yet marked your count as complete, please do so soon.
If you are not sure if you are one of these fine folks, email me offline to
find out.

It is gratifying to be able to say that the overall quality and quantity of
documentation of CBC rarities went up-a lot-this year; thanks to all those who
took the time to complete these important documents.

The most glaring problem I have thus far encountered with this year's online
CBC data, and only for a few CBCs, has been an asymmetry between the Effort
page, where the number of observers is listed, and the Participants page, where
the names and cities of participants are listed.  There is often a disconnect
between these, usually because many more participants are claimed to have taken
part than are actually listed.  If you have not yet marked your count as
complete, please check this matter.  If you have marked your count as complete,
you may be hearing from me about this matter. Also, if you have not marked your
count as complete, please check the date page and insert the date of your count
if it is missing.

Note: Photos of CBC birds are always welcome by me and by the CBC folks at
Audubon/Cornell Lab of Orn., so feel free to pass them along with date and name
of count on which the image was obtained.

Stephen J. Stedman, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus
Tennessee Technological University
2675 Lakeland Dr.